Tip: How To Prevent Cut Avocado From Turning Brown
Avocados are one of the best flab-fighting fats, but it’s unlikely that you’ll eat an entire avocado in one sitting. So how do you keep that leftover avocado from turning brown?
Well, let’s first talk about why avocados turn brown. Like apples or potatoes, the flesh of an avocado oxidizes when exposed to air. Once you cut into an avocado, you’ll never be able to completely stop the oxidation process; however, you can dramatically slow it down with a few quick tips:
1. Cut the avocado with a ceramic or plastic knife. Metal actually accelerates the oxidation process.
2. Try lemon or lime juice, which contain citric acid, a powerful antioxidant. Rub a little juice around the exposed flesh, and you’ll significantly delay the browning effect.
3. No lemon or lime? Use oil. Oil is another great buffer to oxygen, and you can use it in place of lemon or lime juice when you don’t have any handy.
4. Store as air-tight as possible. Again, avocados turn brown due to oxidation, which is accelerated by exposure to air. So, storing them in an air-tight container only makes sense.
5. Water. Huh? That’s right! This one works exceptionally well for guacamole. Place your leftover guac in a plastic container and press down to remove any air pockets. Add a half-inch of water on top and seal with an air-tight lid. The water creates a barrier between the avocado and the air, keeping your guacamole fresh for 24 hours or more! When you’re ready to enjoy some more, just drain the excess water and stir. Give it a try!
Now, while avocados are AWESOME, there’s one particular oil from another fruit that you’ll want to avoid at all costs (even though it’s touted as being extremely healthful). Simply put, this rogue oil is without a doubt the #1 WORST oil for your heart, brain, and skin. Unfortunately, you’ll find it in common foods everywhere, including:
And too many others to count.
If you care about your health, your heart, your memory, and your waistline, you’ll never let this oil touch your lips.
To your success!